The Faculty of Biology at Gajdah Mada University was started by concidering the fact that Indonesia is one of the richest natural resources countries (including plants and animals) needs to develop Biology as a strong elementary education in order to empowering another biological subjects. The high level-education of Biology at Gadjah Mada University began with Baccalaureat Biologi in Medical, Dentistry, and Pharmacy.
Based on decree of the minister of culture and education of Indonesia No. 53759, the faculty was established in September 19, 1955. The first two department of the faculty are
a. Zoology and Pharmacy which at the beginning are parts of Medical, Destistry, and Pharmacy
b. Botany department, which used to be a part of Agriculture and Forestry of Gadjah Mada University.
The founding fathers of the Faculty of Biology at UGM are the late Prof. Drs. R. Radiopoetro as the first dean and the late Prof. drg. R. G. Indojono as the faculty secretary. Other men behind its establishment are the late Prof. dr. Soewasono, the late Prof. Ir. Gembong Tjitrosoepomo, and the late Ir. Soeryo Sodo Adisewoyo.
The first students are students who join into Baccalaureat Biologi in Medical, Destistry, and Pharmacy. At the past, the faculty of Biology was in Mangkubumen complex of Yogyakarta along with Faculty of Medical, Dendistry, and Farmacy. The Faculty of Biology has been occupying North Sekip of Yogyakarta building since 1970.
During 1955-1979, the Faculty of Biology held undergraduate degree (B.Sc.) that can be done in three years, and then continued to bachelor degree (Drs.) for two years. Since 1980, the undergraduate and bachelor degree were replaced with bachelor degree (S1) by using semester credit system and it can be done in four years.
Based on decree of the minister of culture and education no. 0553/0/1983 in Desember 8 1983, between 1983/84 – 1994/95 the Faculty of Biology UGM held three departments, they are Botany Department, Zoology Department, and Environmental Department. According to decree of the minister of culture and education no. 056/U/1994 date of March 19 1994 and No. 0219/U/1995 date of July 25 1995, after 1994/95 there was one department left in the faculty and that was Department of biology.