Become an internationally recognized faculty, as a center of education, research development, and community services in biology, especially in tropical biology, oriented to the interests of the nation and based on Pancasila
- Carrying out a high qualified Master Program in order to educate and empower the nation, maintain national integration and international vision
- Develop a Master Program in accordance with the demands of the era and improve transparent management and qualify in a sustainable manner
- Improving the quality of research that sustains education, advancement of science, technology, and art and enrichment of the nation’s culture
- Improving community service on the basis of social responsibility for the benefit of the people
- Cooperate in a sustainable manner with research institutions, governments, businesses, and the global community
- Produce graduates with strong moral, resilient, spirited leaders, and excel based on identity of the nation
As part of Indonesian Educational system, Masters Biology Program (MB-SP) has upheld the Indonesian National Education Philosophy which called Trilogy Patrap Triloka (Ing ngarso sung tulodho, Ing Madya Mangun Karso, Tut wuri handayani) which can be freely translated as Teaching by example, developing harmonious learning environment, and encourage creative thinking and back it with full attention and responsibility.
This philosophy has widely known by stake holders, since it is Indonesia education motto from elementary school to higher education and part of our history teaching. MB-SP also adopt Indonesian higher education philosophy called “TriDharma Perguruan Tinggi” which translated into UGM’s philosophy which are: to be the leading national university for education, research, and community services as well as inspiring Lifelong learning (pendidikan sepanjang hayat –Ind) based on Pancasila and Indonesian cultural values.
To communicate these philosophy, we put it in our website (www.biologi.ugm.ac.id.) which accessible publically. It was also written in MB-SP academic guidance books and communicate.
The Expected Learning Outcomes (ELO) of Magister in Biology (MB-SP) Faculty of Biology Universitas Gadjah Mada is as follows:
- AT1. The students are intended to internalize the academic values, norms, and ethics as well as demonstrate independent, responsible attitudes in their field of expertise (Attitude);
- KN1. The graduates are demonstrating knowledge and comprehend biological theories, includes all aspects of biological studies at various levels in the organization of life (Knowledge);
- KN2. The graduates are demonstrating knowledge and comprehend biological system and bio-engineering methods to solve tropical biodiversity problems (Knowledge);
- GS1. The graduates are able to develop logical, critical, systematic, and creative thinking through scientific concept and research (General Skills);
- GS2. The graduates are able to manage research data and make decisions in solving biological problems based on analytical or experimental studies and critical analysis of information (General Skills);
- GS3. The graduates are able to formulate and communicate scientific idea effectively (written and spoken) with at least one international language based on scientific rules, procedures, and ethics in the form of academic writing (General Skills);
- SS1. The graduates are able to conduct research in the field of biology independently or in groups, and able to solve various biological-related problems (Specific Skills);
- SS2. The graduates are able to solve problems related to biological resources through an inter- and / or multidisciplinary approaches beneficial to society and scientific community (Specific Skills).
MB-SP is open two admission periods, in February and August starting from the academic year of 2016/2017. Student admission in MB-SP are carried out by the university through Directorate of Education and Learning UGM. Admission requirements and policy for a new graduate students of MB-SP are arranged according to the University’s requirements and explicitly made available on http://um.ugm. ac.id. General requirements are as follows:
1. Graduated Bachelor’s degree in Biology and non-Biology (e.g. Agricultural Technology, Forestry, Fishery, Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or other related disciplines)
2. Have Certificate and transcript of Bachelor’s degree Grade point average (GPA)
- GPA > 2.5 from Study from the Accredited Studies Program ‘A rank’
- GPA > 2.75 from Study from the Accredited Studies Program ‘B rank’
- GPA > 3.0 from Study from the Accredited Studies Program ‘C rank’
3. English language requirements
All students will be required to obtain an acceptable score in an approved English language test. Acceptable tests and scores are as follows:
4. Graduate Academic Potential Test (PAPs) ≥ 450
5. Two letters of recommendations
6. Student Projection and planning include research interest, a research proposal for thesis, the reasons for choosing a Master’s Program in Biology and planning that will be done after completing the master degree.
6. Certificate of heathy issued by the doctor from government hospital
These requirements based on the decree of the UGM Rector No. 11 Year 2016.
1. Certificate of color blind issued by the doctor from government hospital
2. Graduated Bachelor’s degree in non-Biology need to take Matriculation Courses (Biochemistry, Botany, Ecology, Genetics, Microbiology, and Zoology). Matriculation course start at the beginning of the semester before the regular lecture is held.
Based upon a review of academic qualifications, student intake capacity, financial support, availability of facilities and resources, an applicant may be considered to be accepted as a Master’s in Biology student
Program Pascasarjana Program Studi Biologi Fakultas Biologi UGM
Jl. Teknika Selatan, Sekip Utara, Yogyakarta 55281
Telp. (0274)546860, (0274)580839