Master in Biology-Study Program (MB-SP) Faculty of Biology UGM is established to fulfill competence human resource needs in Biology field. This program has been held since the academic year 1980/1981 which was innitially part of UGM Doctoral Education Institution. Based on Decree of the Director General of Higher Education Depdikbud. 580 / DIKTI / Kep / 1993 dated September 20, 1993 this Study Program became a part of UGM Faculty of Graduate. Later on, based on Decree of UGM Rector No. 89 / P / SK / HT / 2006 dated March 9, 2006, this program became a Postgraduate Program of Monodisciplinary, that is Biology Study Program which is managed by Faculty of Biology UGM, hence the curriculum synergizing from undergraduate to postgraduate levels.
Become an internationally recognized faculty, as a center of education, research development, and community services in biology, especially in tropical biology, oriented to the interests of the nation and based on Pancasila
- Carrying out a high qualified Master Program in order to educate and empower the nation, maintain national integration and international vision
- Develop a Master Program in accordance with the demands of the era and improve transparent management and qualify in a sustainable manner
- Improving the quality of research that sustains education, advancement of science, technology, and art and enrichment of the nation’s culture
- Improving community service on the basis of social responsibility for the benefit of the people
- Cooperate in a sustainable manner with research institutions, governments, businesses, and the global community
- Produce graduates with strong moral, resilient, spirited leaders, and excel based on identity of the nation
As part of Indonesian Educational system, Masters Biology Program (MB-SP) has upheld the Indonesian National Education Philosophy which called Trilogy Patrap Triloka (Ing ngarso sung tulodho, Ing Madya Mangun Karso, Tut wuri handayani) which can be freely translated as Teaching by example, developing harmonious learning environment, and encourage creative thinking and back it with full attention and responsibility.
This philosophy has widely known by stake holders, since it is Indonesia education motto from elementary school to higher education and part of our history teaching. MB-SP also adopt Indonesian higher education philosophy called “TriDharma Perguruan Tinggi” which translated into UGM’s philosophy which are: to be the leading national university for education, research, and community services as well as inspiring Lifelong learning (pendidikan sepanjang hayat –Ind) based on Pancasila and Indonesian cultural values.
To communicate these philosophy, we put it in our website (www.biologi.ugm.ac.id.) which accessible publically. It was also written in MB-SP academic guidance books and communicate.
The Expected Learning Outcomes (ELO) of Magister in Biology (MB-SP) Faculty of Biology Universitas Gadjah Mada is as follows:
ATTITUDE – The graduates are willing to
contribute in improving the quality of life of society, nation, state, and the development of civilization based on Pancasila;
|cooperate with communities at various level, and have social sensitivity and concern for the society and environment;|
|internalize the academic values, norms, and ethics as well as demonstrate responsible attitudes in their field of expertise|
KNOWLEDGE – The graduates are demostrating excellent knowledge in
|biological theories, includes all aspects of biological studies at various levels in the organization of life;|
|appropriate biological research methods;|
|analysis and synthesis based on biological concepts, and principles of sustainable use and conservation of biological resource.|
GENERAL SKILLS – The graduates are able to:
|develop logical, critical, systematic, and creative thinking through scientific research; develop scientific concepts and present the results based on scientific rules, procedures, and ethics in the form of theses and scientific publications.|
|make decisions in solving biological problems based on analytical or experimental studies and critical analysis of information and data;|
develop cooperation with institutions and research communities;
manage research data in order to ensure validity, strictly hold the academic integrity, and prevent themselves from plagiarism practices
|use information technology in scientific development and implementing it in their area of expertise;|
communicate effectively (written and spoken) with at least one international language
SPECIFIC SKILLS – The graduates are able to:
|conduct research in the field of biology independently or in groups, and able to solve various biological-related problems;|
|solve problems related to biological resources through an inter- and / or multidisciplinary approaches beneficial to society and scientific community|
|gain recognition from national and / or international community in biological science.|
The MB-SP has been evaluated four times by the National Accreditation Board of Higher Education (BAN-PT). The first evaluation was held in July 2000 with the predicate of Superior (Decree of BAN-PT No. 025 / BAN-PT / AK-I / S2 / IX / 2000). The second evaluation was conducted in 2006 with A (very good) accreditation according to Decree of BAN-PT No. 018 / BAN-PT / AK-IV / S2 / 11/2006, valid from February 16, 2006 until February 16, 2011. The third evaluation was conducted in 2011 and obtained accreditation rating A according to SK BAN-PT No. 005 / BAN-PT / AK-IX / S2 / VII / 2011, valid from July 8, 2011 until July 8, 2016. The fourth evaluation was conducted in 2016 and obtained accreditation rating A according to Decree of BAN-PT No. 0540 / SK / BAN-PT / Akred / M / V / 2016, valid from May 20, 2016 until 20 May 2021.
The MB-SP program has been evaluated by the AUN QA and successfully completing the AUN QA Program Assessment, valid from May 10, 2019 until May 9, 2024
MB-SP is open two admission periods, in February and August starting from the academic year of 2016/2017. Student admission in MB-SP are carried out by the university through Directorate of Education and Learning UGM. Admission requirements and policy for a new graduate students of MB-SP are arranged according to the University’s requirements and explicitly made available on http://um.ugm. ac.id. General requirements are as follows:
1. Graduated Bachelor’s degree in Biology and non-Biology (e.g. Agricultural Technology, Forestry, Fishery, Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or other related disciplines)
2. Have Certificate and transcript of Bachelor’s degree Grade point average (GPA)
- GPA > 2.5 from Study from the Accredited Studies Program ‘A rank’
- GPA > 2.75 from Study from the Accredited Studies Program ‘B rank’
- GPA > 3.0 from Study from the Accredited Studies Program ‘C rank’
3. English language requirements
All students will be required to obtain an acceptable score in an approved English language test. Acceptable tests and scores are as follows:
4. Graduate Academic Potential Test (PAPs) ≥ 450
5. Two letters of recommendations
6. Student Projection and planning include research interest, a research proposal for thesis, the reasons for choosing a Master’s Program in Biology and planning that will be done after completing the master degree.
6. Certificate of heathy issued by the doctor from government hospital
These requirements based on the decree of the UGM Rector No. 11 Year 2016.
1. Certificate of color blind issued by the doctor from government hospital
2. Graduated Bachelor’s degree in non-Biology need to take Matriculation Courses (Biochemistry, Botany, Ecology, Genetics, Microbiology, and Zoology). Matriculation course start at the beginning of the semester before the regular lecture is held.
Based upon a review of academic qualifications, student intake capacity, financial support, availability of facilities and resources, an applicant may be considered to be accepted as a Master’s in Biology student
Prospective students must apply online through https://um.ugm.ac.id/ and the application guidelines can be accessed on https://ugm.ac.id/en/pendaftaran.
Program Pascasarjana Program Studi Biologi Fakultas Biologi UGM
Jl. Teknika Selatan, Sekip Utara, Yogyakarta 55281
Telp. (0274)546860, (0274)580839